Always Putting Brains Before Brawn
At Performance Industrial, safety comes first – every time, no matter what. We take pride in the fact that our crews pay attention to details and their safety record makes our customers sleep easier at night.
Putting safety first makes for a better work environment, higher morale, improved communication and more efficient protocols – all of which add up to money saved for our customers.
That’s why we’re excited to announce that our entire team has officially completed OSHA’s 40-hour HAZWOPER training course!
What’s OSHA HAZWOPER?
HAZWOPER is an acronym that stands for the Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response Standard. It applies to employees that may be exposed or potentially exposed to harmful substances.
Some of the topics covered in the 40-hour course include:
- Protection against hazardous chemicals
- Elimination of hazardous chemicals
- Safety of workers and the environment
- OSHA regulations (29 CFR 1910.120)
Our crew also had additional hands-on training in the donning, doffing, and use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) required for their various job sites, in accordance with 29 CFR 1910.120.
So, what do they know?
It’s important to Performance Industrial that, at the end of HAZWOPER training, all of our crew members are able to:
- Understand the details of related OSHA standards and their role in occupational safety
- Use ‘site characterization’ to establish problems that may exist and measures that can be taken to eliminate hazards
- Identify hazardous materials and the symptoms of exposure in the workplace
- Identify preventative measures and methods to remove or reduce exposure
- Use Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) to identify and properly handle hazardous materials
- Identify the various materials, compounds, and mixtures that may create flammable, explosive, chemical or radiological hazards
- Understand the importance of PPE in limiting exposure to hazardous materials
- Establish an effective Site Control Program to limit the risk of exposure to only those in an immediate work zone
- Implement procedures for treating workers in the event of hazardous exposure
How will OSHA HAZWOPER training benefit our customers?
As our industrial flooring, cleaning, painting, HVAC and kitchen exhaust crews continue to work in manufacturing or industrial spaces, it’s important that they meet (or exceed) the same safety standards that’s expected from our clients. Some of the immediate benefits of having a HAZWOPER-trained vendor include:
- If an accident or emergency were to occur at your facility while our crew is there, they will not only be prepared to protect themselves, but will also be ready to assist your employees in executing a safe plan of action.
- As our crew uses chemicals in your environment, they’ll be able to protect any of your nearby employees from hazards as well as themselves
- Depending on your environment, our training may protect you from any penalties that may occur from allowing workers in your facility that are not HAZWOPER trained
- Our training means you don’t have to babysit our crew. They’ll be safe and responsible, which lets you get back to what you do best.